Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hidden Object Games - Clone much?

Hidden object games or HOG for short.
Lately there's an incredible flood of these games everywhere. There's literally 2 or 3 being launched every day and all of them look and do the same, to a bigger or smaller extent. You make your way through x number of levels, find x amount of objects and voilĂ ... game over.

Now, what's wrong with these games, you may ask?
Well, for starters it's always... and I mean always... the same thing: find objects in more or less shabby backgrounds with a more or less lame story to make you plow through all those cheesy backgrounds and burn your eyelids looking for that microscopic screw that is hidden in the back of a frying pan inside a tire hidden in the rim of a cannon.

Still, even though these games are clones of the clones of the cloned clones of the clones of the clone friends of the cloned clones of the original game, it doesn't stop game companies from spewing out enough HOG's to fill up the eyes of everyone and their mothers, grandmothers, grand grandmothers, grand grand grandmothers... you get the idea.

Success or just trying to come up with the best HOG ever? How do you make a good HOG in the first place? It's something as old as taking a poop after eating beans but some game companies decided to give them a plastic surgery, some botox, silicone, wash the black pores out and flush it out as something new... too bad there's so many that it's becoming tedious and nauseating to go to a casual gamer site and all you find are HOG's, HOG's and more HOG's.

I gave up (at least for now) or going to some of the most popular casual gamer sites because... well... I feel like throwing up when I go there and all I find are a few new dozens of HOG clones flashing at me with their sickly fingers wanting to suck my brains and eat my eyes... *shudder*.

Until today, I've only found ONE (yes, ONE) HOG that I enjoyed and I hope that I see a couple more in that line.
Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ was (and still is) for me and a few friends, the best HOG ever made:

- Good story line
- Incredible backgrounds
- Puzzles to solve with what you find
- Scenery interaction (not just to find objects).
- Incredible atmosphere

More like this (not clones... new ones with new stories, puzzles, etc) and I might consider looking at a HOG again but if the "clone everyone and their mother" trend continues, I'll surely start cleaning up my bookmarks of some game sites.